Friday, March 09, 2012

New Trick: Part 1

Open the Lid
For this trick (or skill), we started with "free-shaping." Free-shaping entails clicks+treats for every interaction with the new object. After the initial free-shaping, the clicks become more informative as they only occur when I'm performing something that leads to the desired end result.
Is this what you're looking for?
How about this?
Once I figure out how to get the clicks+treats, I realize I can play the game while reclining on the floor. Although the click is a bit late (!), notice the jackpot of treats I receive when I forcefully throw open the lid.


Opening the lid while standing. (Sorry for the dark videos but it was 10:00 at night!)


The next day:  I have become proficient at the task so it is now given a name, "open." In the next video, the delay after the cue "open" was not caused by confusion but rather a noise in the distance that caught my attention. In spite of the temporary loss of focus, I remember what I was asked to do.


So there it is, from novel object to new skill in just a few easy steps!

1 comment:

  1. Good job! Now nothing is safe from Mr Bodi-man! LOL

    ReplyDelete