Thursday, March 01, 2012

Proprioception: Backwards & Upwards

I've been trying to walk backwards and place my rear feet onto the balance discs/pods but because of their small size it is too easy for me to step around them and therefore misunderstand what is being asked of me.  Today, the old sofa cushions were transformed into giant balance squares and voila!  Not only did I figure out that I was supposed to walk straight backward and step up onto something but in just a few tries I reversed up 3 levels.


(The loud cartoons you hear in the background serve as distractions as we work.)

4 comments:

  1. Try NOT walking into him so he learns to do it on his own. I remember teaching Miska to walk backwards at Say Yes & I had to be very patient waiting for her to take a step or 2 backwards before clicking & treating. Gradually she took more & more steps back on her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bodi has been walking backwards on his own for months (as well as at heel position - required for CARO Rally) but attempts to get him to step up onto something always led to a sit or a sidestep. Therefore I used the pressure of my body to circumvent a sit/sidestep.

      Delete