Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Big Yellow Peanut

On Tuesday, I met the big yellow peanut (FitPAWS Canine Conditioning Equipment - www.balldynamics.com).  According to FitPAWS, working on the peanut will:
- improve reaction and control
- increase trunk and core strength
- stabilize weak areas
- improve balance and proprioception
- increase range of motion in joints and elongation in the muscles
- improve sensory and body awareness

Of course, as I am still a puppy, I will only be doing short sessions and exercises on the peanut that are safe for growing puppies.


I like it already - it comes with treats

Standing while extending neck to reach for a treat

Balancing on 2 legs while I change direction


In a down

Sitting up straight
As this was just supposed to be a "meet and greet," Mom wasn't fully prepared to videotape (wow, is she ever going to take a lot of training!).  As the instructions say that it may take a puppy/dog several sessions to be comfortable on the peanut, it didn't occur to her that I would be up on the peanut and twirling around (unaided) in under a minute.  I initially scrambled up onto the peanut (and jumped off) a few times as she was snapping stills but when I started leaping onto it, she finally came out of her daze and hit the video button.  Here's a really short video of me leaping onto the peanut.  You can see how much the peanut moves even though one end is being stabilized.

2 comments: